June 09, 2004

From the papers...17

Sorry, SM. But the way I see it, the reason why scholars are termed scholars in the public sector has nothing to do with their ability (or for some, talent, drive AND energy) to become entrepreneurs.

Pardon my next few sweeping sentences or so. But, I trust I'm entitled to having a general sentiment about our education system on MY Bloooody Blog.

Our education system is such that those who can regurgitate things better go on to claim their scholarships from a system that groomed them so. After which, they go on to slave for a bureaucracy that pays them (un)reasonably well so that even when they can move out of the public sector, they command a much higher pay than most of us here still working our butts off our goddamn bank loan.

They have all the resources to lead a laid back life and bask in the glow of their very healthy bank account. What makes you think they will have the talent, drive and energy to be an entrepreneur? Yes, some do. I won't contest that.

But, c'mon! The concentration is not of talent, drive and energy. It's more of poverty (I use tis word here loosely, cos 'cmon! tis is singapore! poverty? Bah!) and a serious lack of resources and ambition.

Jeremy: So, what are civil servants?

Joe: Erm, slaves?

Me: Cheap labour...?

Jeremy: Not cheap you know! The colonels and lieutenants are very well-paid. Very expensive slaves.

Me: Those are not slaves. Those are the slave-drivers.

Even my very 'blissful' younger sister remarked few days ago that 'In Singapore, the scholarships are all taken up by non-Singaporeans.' She would know. She works in NUS.

Posted by 杏 cy (Jancy) at 22:49